Article by Jolene Creighton
There are a number of collections that are like this—collections that aim to demonstrate science concepts in a way that is easily digestible. Each is unique in its own way, and I really encourage you to spend some time google-ing about and finding all the various lists, as many of them are terribly informative.
Here, full disclosure, I tried to trace down the original source. This means that, if I found something on Reddit, I did a reverse image search to trace down the original creator and original appearance.
Anyways, I hope you enjoy the show.
1) THIS IS A REULEAUX TRIANGLE
There are curves of constant width besides circles and spheres. It’s a convex planar shape whose width is the same regardless of the orientation of the curve.
2) THESE CURVES OF CONSTANT WIDTH CAN DRILL SQUARE HOLES
3) THIS IS WHY PI IS SIGNIFICANT
This animation shows the act of unrolling a circle’s circumference [or trying to], illustrating the ratio π.
4) HOW TO MAKE PASCAL’S TRIANGLE
These are used in algebra and probability, where it can be used to find Combinations.
5) THIS IS A MIURA FOLD
It’s a method of folding a flat surface into a smaller size. It consists of tessellated parallelograms and is used in the solar panels of satellites.
6) THIS IS A PARABOLA
If you kick a soccer ball (or shoot an arrow, fire a missile, or throw a stone) it will arc up into the air and come down again…following the path of a parabola!
7) THIS IS A RADIAN
The radian is the standard unit of angular measure, used in many areas of mathematics.
8) THIS IS A MATRIX TRANSPOSITION
A matrix which is formed by turning all the rows of a given matrix into columns and vice-versa. The transpose of matrix A is written AT
9) THIS IS A SIERPINSKI TRIANGLE
It’s a kind of fractal, a mathematically generated pattern that can be reproducible at any magnification or reduction.
10) HERE’S HOW YOU CONVERT CARTESIAN (RECTANGULAR) TO POLAR COORDINATES
11) THIS IS HOW EXTERIOR ANGLES OF POLYGONS WORK
They add up to 360 degrees.
12) THIS IS A HYPERBOLOID MADE UP OF STRAIGHT LINES
13) THIS IS ALSO A HYPERBOLOID OF STRAIGHT LINES
14) THIS IS HOW WHITE BLOOD CELLS KEEP YOU SAFE
In the video, a white blood cell chases and engulfs this bacteria–watch until the end!
15) THIS IS EARTH’S ICE AND VEGETATION CYCLE OVER A YEAR
16) THERE IS FLAMMABLE MATTER IN SMOKE
Smoke is not just nothingness, obviously. So it can burn.
17) THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE WHEN YOU SET A FLAMMABLE GAS ON FIRE IN A CONTAINED ENVIRONMENT
18) THIS IS QUANTUM LEVITATION DUE TO VORTEX PINNING
A superconductor levitates over a magnetic track.
19) THIS IS HOW TENSION WORKS IN RELATION TO FALLING OBJECTS
Watch a slinky fall to the Earth; this is how slinkies always fall.
20) NOT ALL GASSES HAVE THE SAME DENSITY
Sulphur hexafluoride is much denser than air.
21) BONUS! AND REMEMBER, ALL THOSE AMAZING ASTRONOMY IMAGES ARE MUCH MORE THAN 2D IMAGES…
The Elephant’s Trunk nebula in 3D.